- Entities collecting personal information
Personal Information on this Site is collected by MusicTruth, Inc.
- Updating your personal information and privacy preferences
Upon request MusicTruth will provide you with information about whether we hold, or process on behalf of a third party, any of your personal information. To request this information please contact us at privacy@MusicTruth.com.
You have the right to access and correct, or delete your Personal Information and privacy preferences at any time. This may be accomplished by clicking on the link, “My Account”, where you can view and make changes to most of your Personal Information immediately. If you are a contributor, you can change your profile here. For security purposes, certain Personal Information can only be changed by contacting support by email. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
- Collection of personal information
As a visitor to the Site, you can engage in many activities without providing any Personal Information.
However, when you order products or services as a MusicTruth subscriber, we may collect the following Personal Information from you:
- Contact information such as your name, phone and fax numbers, address and email address; and
- Billing information such as the number, expiration date, card type and billing address of your credit card; and
- Demographic information such as your job title, job description and company name and company type.
If you submit content to MusicTruth for licensing, you may be asked to provide the following information:
- Contact information such as your name, phone number, primary address, and email address.
- MusicTruth will verify this information by asking you to either: a) upload a scan of a government issued ID (which will be stored on our servers); or b) provide a credit card number. Your credit card number will be used solely for the purpose of verifying your name and address. The credit card number will not be stored.
- Payment and contributor information including, but not limited to, payout method, payout email, desired display name, skill level, content focus, etc.
Depending upon the activity, some of the information that we ask you to provide is identified as mandatory and some as voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity.
As is true of most websites, when you use the Site, MusicTruth or third parties authorized by MusicTruth may also collect certain technical and routing information about your computer to facilitate your use of the Site and its services. For example, we may log environmental variables, such as browser type, operating system, CPU speed, and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer. We use these environmental variables to facilitate and track your use of the Site and its services. MusicTruth also uses such environmental variables to measure traffic patterns on the Site. To better understand the needs of our visitors to the Site we may occasionally match such information with your Personal Information.
In order to reduce errors in our database, authenticate our users, and prevent abuse of our system, we may on occasion supplement the Personal Information you submit to us with information from third-party sources. For example, we may supplement your contact information with address information provided by the U.S. Postal Service to qualify your information and prevent errors in our database. As permissible, we may also supplement the information you provide to us with demographic and other information (such as age or interest in photography) stored in third-party databases in order to make it more likely that marketing communications we send will be of interest to you.
- Information sharing with service providers / agents
MusicTruth uses one or more outside credit card processing companies to bill you for our goods and services. To the best of our knowledge, these companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any other purpose.
We also share Personal Information with certain companies that perform services on our behalf. We only share the Personal Information which is necessary for them to perform those services. We require any company with which we may share Personal Information to protect that data in a manner consistent with this policy and to limit the use of such Personal Information to the performance of services for MusicTruth.
We do not sell or otherwise provide Personal Information to other companies for the marketing of their own products or services.
- How your personal information is used
- Process your financial transactions.
- Send you order / renewal confirmations.
- Register your rights, if any, to technical support or other benefits that may be made available to registered users.
- Respond to customer service requests, questions and concerns.
- Administer your account.
- Send you requested product or service information.
- Keep you informed about special offers and services of MusicTruth and selected third parties.
- Administer promotions and sweepstakes you enter and notify you of the results.
- Investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities and/or violations of our Terms of Service.
- Meet our research and product/service development needs and to improve our Site, services and offerings; and
- Customize your experience, including targeting our services and offerings to you.
We store information that we collect through cookies, log files, transparent images, and/or third party sources to create a summary of your preferences. We tie your personally identifiable information, and/or your membership usage history, to information in the summary, in order to provide tailored promotions and marketing offers, to improve the content of the site for you and/or to determine your preferences.
In certain situations, MusicTruth may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We further reserve the right to disclose your Personal Information as required by law (e.g., to comply with a subpoena, warrant, court order, or legal process served on MusicTruth ) and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, avoid litigation, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, and/or respond to a government request. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that such disclosure should be made for reasons of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance.
- Data retention
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to delete your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at support@MusicTruth.com. We will respond to your request within 30 days. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
- Choice / opt out
You may “opt out” of receiving MusicTruth’s email updates, newsletters and/or partner emails by clicking on the “My Account” link on the Site and making the appropriate selections. The choice to opt out of such communications is also generally available during the sign-up process. MusicTruth will still contact you when there are changes to the Terms of Service or Submitter Terms of Service, as applicable. In addition, we will still send you service-related announcements including, but not limited to, a registration email, benefit notification emails, emails automatically triggered by actions you took on the Site and bill related notices. Generally, you may not opt-out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you wish not to receive them, you have the option of deactivating your account
- Protection of your personal information
The Personal Information that you provide in connection with the use of the Site is protected in several ways.
- Access by you to your account profile is available through a password and unique customer ID selected by you. This password is encrypted. You should strive to use a strong, alpha-numeric password which you should not divulge to anyone.
- Your Personal Information resides on a secure server that only selected MusicTruth personnel and contractors have access to via password.
- Your Personal Information is encrypted whenever it is transmitted to MusicTruth.
- When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card number) on our registration or order forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We strive to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. While we use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
If you have any questions about security on our Web Site, you can send email to us at privacy@MusicTruth.com.
- Cookie and tracking technologies
The Site may automatically collect information as you browse, such as Internet Service Provider, browser type and version, operating system and device type, average time spent on our site(s), pages viewed, information accessed, the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet and other relevant statistics. Such information is sometimes referred to as web analytics and/or clickstream data.
We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to improve services we offer you, to improve marketing, analytics, and provide site functionality.
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by MusicTruth and our affiliates, analytics services and service to provide site features and functionality. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
- We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if located in the European Union click here) Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
We enable you to create a profile for accessing blogs or online communities for sharing information such as messages, photos and videos. Please note that we cannot control the actions of others with whom you may choose to share your pages and information. Any information you post to a public bulletin board or chat room, such as the Forum For Contributors (the “Forums”), is available to all persons accessing that location. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at privacy@MusicTruth.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. Alternatively, if you used a third party application to post such information, you can remove it, by either logging into the said application and removing the information or by contacting the appropriate third party application.
Your email address will not automatically be posted on the Forums unless you modify the default setting to permit that. Your email address will then be available to all persons accessing the Forums. In addition, any information that you choose to include in your profile can be viewed by all visitors to the Forums. You can change your profile here.
- Links to 3rd party sites
- Social media widgets
- Single sign-on
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
- Referral program emails
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Site, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site. MusicTruth stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program.
Your friend may contact support@MusicTruth.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
We do not intend to solicit or collect Personal Information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, do not enter information on this site or engage our services. If you believe a child of yours under the age of 18 has entered Personal Information please contact support@MusicTruth.com to have the data removed and terminate the child’s account.
- Privacy complaints